Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I want my daddy...

It seems that even after a good night these days (which is only waking once to feed the babe) that six a.m. is still painful. I am nursing Evan who seems to be eating faster and faster with each passing day and I desparately try to figure out how to get just one more hour of sleep. On one hand, I could try and put him back down and he might sleep for another hour. This is turn will completely mess up his nap schedule which has been phenomenal this past week. On the other hand, Matt could get up with him after I finish feeding him. It appears that I will be getting up with Evan and going downstairs for some breakie and playtime! Tyson is waiting outside Evan's door and greets us with a meow. The three of us head downstairs. As usual, the dishes from the previous nights dinner is still on the counter. Tomato sauce is now crusted to the sides of the pans and the floor is littered with last nights festivities!

I lay Evan down in the toy area and put some food into Tyson's bowl. The cat could live on his fat alone for the next year. He has become so lazy since the children were born. He and Connor are never in the same room at the same time. Connor would have no idea the cat existed if he didn't meow for food at bedtime every night causing Connor to run to his door yelling, "kitty cat, kitty cat!" Evan and Tyson seem to have a relationship forming though. Tyson will tolerate Evan's advances which include fistfulls of fur, tail pulling, whisker tickling and the occasional wrestling move. When Tyson has had enough, he rolls away or lays down somewhere else. Evan just follows him around all morning while I get breakfast going and put on a pot of coffee. Decaf of course! I do need to be vigilant with Tyson and Evan, as Evan has got hind feet in the face on two occasions now. Not in an attacking way, in a playful way, but the need for supervision is required just in case. This makes the task of making food slow. "Tyson, just go on the couch so he can't reach you buddy."

The smell of brewing coffee in the morning is intoxicating. I can feel my eyes opening and my blood start flowing just a litle quicker. I pull out my steel cut oats and add a dash of cinnamin, pop it in the microwave and pour my coffee. I grab a glass and fill it with water and take my vitamin D. Just as I sit down to eat I can hear Connor in his crib whining for his daddy. Ever since Evan was born, Connor has become a real daddy's boy. Daddy had to put him to bed every night, down for naps, change his bum, make his lunch, go for walks etc...for 6 weeks until I was healed after the section. That was just long enough to seal the deal. It still stings a little when he calls for daddy first. Evan is a mommy's boy through and through, so I really shouldn't complain. He is getting louder and louder and Matt isn't moving, so I run up and grab Connor who needed to bring his blankie, stuffed kitty cat and zaza. I managed to talk him out of the soother (zaza) and toyed again with the idea of making it permanently disappear. He really shouldn't have it anymore, but is so attached to it. I couldn't bare to deal with that until Evan was sleeping better, so the idea was shelfed for nine months. Might be time to dust the idea off and bring it back to life!

I get both boys downstairs and Connor wants to snuggle. Who am I to say no? I love snuggles!! Of course he keeps saying, "I want my daddy, I want my daddy." I say, "Will mommy do today?" "OK." Darn right that is ok, after all, I gave birth to you!! It wasn't long and Evan was grabbing my leg and pulling himself up because he wanted snuggles too! Lots of love to go around! I get him on my knee and Connor starts whining because the baby is sharing my lap! For pete's sake! We agree on oatmeal for breakfast and put them both down to start the oatmeal. The next thing I know, Evan is climbing all over Connor and Connor is freaking out. Evan starts to cry too and before I know it, they are crying in a chorus together! I suppose this is a premonition of the next eigteen years. I console them and get back to the oatmeal.

Daddy makes it downstairs. By now I have been up two and a bit hours (where does the time go?)and sits down on the floor to play blocks with Evan. Connor wanders over (still no oatmeal eaten)and wants his daddy whose attention is with Evan. In a familiar scene, Connor is on one knee and Evan on the other, with Connor whining that he wants the baby down. I tell Matt that I think he should put Evan down his nap, which is about 10 minutes away. I tell him this because it is important for Evan to feel comfortable with different people putting him down for his naps and we can do this now that he isn't nursed before the morning nap! I proceed to tell him Evan's nap routine and he tells me he stopped listening hours ago! By now, I am already disgruntled that I was up at 6 to feed the baby and bring him down to get breakfast after being up in the night to feed him. Disgruntled that I had to get Connor when he was whining (for daddy) to get up, while watching the baby and getting breakfast. Then he is snippy with me?! I am trying to decide if I should get up and grab Evan and just do it myself or ride it out and bite my tongue. I choose to bite my tongue and make the smart decision that won't upset the kids. About ten minutes later, Matt takes Evan upstairs and gets him down for his nap no problem. I wonder if Matt goes back to work, if my daddy's boy will become a mama's boy again? I secretly hope so because I love to be the nurturer, the consoler and the healer of all things that hurt!! Until then, at least I have one mama's boy still!!

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened to me when I got pregnant with Rowan. I was SO sick, Ethan ended up getting VERY close with Don because daddy was doing EVERYTHING. It killed me, even though it was kind of my own doing. Since being home with him, it's much more balanced....he spends his time equally loving us both! I bet the same thing happens when Matt goes back to work.

    ReplyDelete