Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Anyone hiring????

Before I begin, I got my hubby's permission to write this!

My husband, Matt, has been laid off from his job at Electro Motive since the end of last March. I went on Maternity leave the first week of April last year. We have spent the last nine months together essentially 24/7. Don't get me wrong, having him home has been wonderful and there are many moments that I wonder how I would have survived without him. It also means we have both been home with our children for almost an entire year and that in itself is a blessing. He has even become a little domesticated having done dishes in the sink twice!

It isn't easy for him to be home. I give him a lot of credit. After having Evan by Cesarean section, I wasn't able to do a lot around the house let alone run after Connor, a very active toddler. He totally picked up the slack by changing Connor's diapers, putting him down for naps, putting him to bed, making his meals and taking him outside to run around. That was hard for me to let go of all the things that used to be my domain, but my hands were full with Evan and healing. Now that I have healed he seems to have found other ways to keep himself entertained.

He has become the neighbourhood snoop. He is like the nosey old lady neighbour who knows everything and anything that happens on the street. Living in a newer subdivision, there is always action. He even has nicknames for some of the construction workers. Tom Green, Mini Me, Gerry just to name a few. I mean, you can't tell me he isn't bored!

As the time quickly approaches for me to go back to work and the prospects of him returning to work look slim, he may become at stay at home dad. I am not sure he looks at this as a good thing. I on the other hand, would embrace being at home with my children with open arms. I would love for him to stay at home with the kids if I knew it would make him happy. He needs to go to work to feel fulfilled and to be happy. Everything happens for a reason and him being laid off was definitely to help me through my rough patches. It hasn't been easy, but I wouldn't have traded anything not to have him home all this time. But really, is anyone hiring??

No comments:

Post a Comment