Sunday, January 10, 2010

Show some empathy...

Connor and I are walking through the produce section of the grocery store. This is a new store for me and only my second appearence. I find myself doing laps around the islands because I forget grapes or celery, but the inconvenience isn't bothersome since Connor is entertaining me as usual! We cover all the organic section and before I know it the cart is heaping with produce and it spills over into the bottom section of the cart! My cart used to be filled with boxes and cans and frozen junk. I felt a sort of pride that I had filled my cart with such healthy choices! Every item I place into my cart Connor tells me "Nummy, nummy!" Excellent!

We attempt to navigate the meat and dairy ailse and other shoppers have unthoughtfully parked their cart mid ilse in a narrow ailse. Normally, this would have sent me on a mental rampage. Screaming F bombs in mind at the ignorant shoppers surrounding. Today is different. I continue to chit chat with Connor about the fans on the ceiling of the store and deftly navigate and wait patiently for carts and bodies to move. I picked up some ground turkey, another new item in my cart and some turkey breasts and we head down to grab some milk. As I close the door to the refridgerated milk section, I hear a high pitched scream that could belong to no other than a disgruntled toddler. I quickly look over to Connor and breath a sigh of relief! Not him! The screaming continues as we make our way up the next ilse and I see the faces of the other consumers. There are several faces looks of disgust and a few snickers. I catch a glimpse of the mother with the screaming child and she has two other older children in tow. Immediately, I feel a surge of empathy for this poor woman. Her face is red and she is rushing around throwing groceries in her cart and the child continues his high pitch wail. She passes by me and I smile at her trying to convey that I understand how she feels, but she dodges my attempt as continues on.

I round the corner of the ailse and stumble into a woman serving samples of McCain pizzas. She looks at me and instead of asking if I would like a sample, she gives me a look of disgust obviously referring to the screaming child. I give a weak smile and manage to say, "He sounds very upset." She turns up her nose and says, "There is no need for that." My heart is sinking for that mother and I feel hot tears welling in my eyes. I cannot understand why there is so much judgement for this poor mother. I mean, don't people remember what it is like sometimes? I have not had the unfortunate experience of my boys having a complete meltdown in public. Connor had a minor meltdown in Walmart when he was about eighteen months old and all of the old ladies commented about how cute he was! That is probably the worst public experience to date and certainly nothing compared to what this poor woman is going through.

I ponder why everyone is judging her as I make my way to the Organic section. I feel such empathy towards this woman. I want to put my arm on her shoulder and tell her it is ok. That as a fellow mom, I understand the struggle. I look down at my beautiful Connor and he smiles at me. I ask him for a kiss and he happily obliges me! I feel some regret for not being able to better convey these feelings to her. I also feel some gratefullness that it isn't my child screaming. I just hope that when my day comes, someone has the courage to put their arm on my shoulder and tell me they understand the struggle.

3 comments:

  1. I have experienced similar situations before ... and definitely try to say something encouraging to the person in question. It's only a matter of time before it's my turn, right?
    We were at Safeway last week and it was A's first time sitting in the front of the cart and S's first time walking by my side. It went surprisingly well, minus S almost walking straight into several people & carts and A tipping over quite a few times - but everyone was courteous to us.
    I also find certain stores have nicer shoppers than others :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brutal! Fortunately I haven't been in that situation...yet. My time will come I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I certainly get this. Three in one cart bundled high with groceries can make for a tight squeeze which seems to press on nerves. Groceries used to be such a peaceful outing for us, and though we've yet to experience full blown temper tantrums, I can see that day happening much sooner than later for us as Braylon and Isaiah get one another going more often than not! We've had some "heated" moments already! Thanks for being one of the emphathetic ones - there are definitely hot scolding stares given when a child misbehaves in public and since it's embarassing enough as a mom for a child to misbehave, it is totally unwelcome attention!

    ReplyDelete