Friday, January 8, 2010

How do you feed your flame?

In order for a flame to burn it needs oxygen and kindling. Without these elements it is impossible for the flame to continue warming your soul. So, how to you continue to keep your flame burning in a world where there is little time for kindling? Finding the time to do the things we love is hard, but a neccessity if we are to keep our flames alive. Ask yourself, what feeds my flame? What kindling can I give my flame on a daily basis? Am I taking deep breaths?
The first thing that feeds my flame is my children. The giggles and smiles, snuggles and cuddles feed my flame intensely. This intensity is a little overwhelming at times and I have discovered that I need ways to feed my flame outside of my loving family. It needed to be something I am passionate about, something that allows me to be creative. Skating! Before I had my children I was coaching 6 nights a week, working full time and not enjoying a second of it! Once I had my first son, Connor, I went back to coaching 1 night a week just to keep my foot in the door. There was no pressure, no demands, just teaching my few students the sport that I love. I had discovered another way to feed my flame! I was enjoying my time on the ice again. I was able to share my passion for the ice with my students and inspire them to skate to some fantastic acheivements! Despite this awakening in me, I still felt like I was missing something. My flame needed more fuel.
I have always been an athlete and somewhere between ending my competitive skating and having children I packed on a "few" extra pounds. I don't feel like an athlete anymore even though my heart longs for activity and highs. My knees ache and feel so unsupportive, my center of gravity has shifted and my base is crumpled. This does not fuel my flame. So how are these extra pounds going to come off? Well, I have started a detox with some amazing women who have given me so much support it may bring me to tears yet. I am four days in now and am starting to feel better with each passing day. The scale has started its descent which provides incentive for me to stay on track. This is the start of something really big! With the support of these woman, I know I can keep my flame burning!
Another piece to this puzzle is this blog. A way for me to be creative through prose, anecdotes and may be even a little rhyme! I will log in daily and write what is on my mind! Food? Children? Progress reports? Anything that feeds my flame and makes it burn brighter! So that has me wondering? What feeds your flame?

2 comments:

  1. These are the things that feed my flame; Growth from new knowledge, health, my success in my career/life and of course #1 my husband and daughter.

    Great intro to your Blog! It's very inspiring. I too believe that people should be asking themselves important questions to that we may not all have answers too. Excellent job on the decline of the scale. I too have dropped some weight and my clothes fit better. :) ROCK the DETOX Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ange!! I love your Growth from new knowledge as a flame feeder!

    ReplyDelete